SC refurb

General Sailing Discussion
efinley
Professional

SC refurb

Post by efinley »

I've had my SC 20 for about 20 years now (bought it used) and it had seen better days. Still sailed great but it was looking a little rough. We took it in for a new gelcoat job and after a lot of elbow grease (mostly a friend of mine's) it is looking really sharp. I thought I'd share some pics even though it isn't all back together yet. We're hoping to get it back together for next weekend's sail which also happens to be our 12th wedding anniversary! :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sailingkyle85
Novice
Boat Make/Model: SuperCat 15

Re: SC refurb

Post by sailingkyle85 »

looks great! i like the yellow and blue stripes!
Kevin Keller
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC-20, ARC22

Post by Kevin Keller »

That does look sharp. Good job.

Did you paint it with it hanging on the saw horses like that?
efinley
Professional

Post by efinley »

No we just put it on the sawhorses to stripe and polish it. Actually it isn't paint it is gelcoat and I had that part done by a pro. I wanted to paint it myself but with 2 little kids running around I just couldn't find the hours needed.
Paul13jg
Novice
Boat Make/Model: SC17

Post by Paul13jg »

Nice job. I 'm inspired and hope to have mine redone in 2 years.
Kevin...what shape are your old beams in? PM me. (but my computer is very much down!)
Eric2101
Professional
Boat Make/Model: Supercat 15

Post by Eric2101 »

the gelcoat looks excellent! Did you have paint originally or was it always gel coat?
Eric Arbogast
Supercat 15
efinley
Professional

Post by efinley »

I really don't know what it was before but I think it was a patchwork of paints. ~15 years ago when we were stepping the mast the sterns jumped up, over and came down on the Trailex hull cradles putting a neat set of holes in the hulls from the various pieces of channel. I was probably all of 15 at the time so I don't know what the repair really was. Then top sides had had some various repairs as well. Then there was the bare epoxy from the repairs I did after hitting a submerged boulder in lake Tahoe that split the bottom of the hull from the dagger well to 18" from the stern. That was exciting... :)

So basically this boat has had a hard life and after about 7 years of really wanting to fix this boat up we're finally making it happen. :) Now that the hulls are pretty it is driving me to fix a bunch of other things, like the EMT tiller crossbar. :)

I'm so excited to get the SC on the water again, I think with the small kids etc it has been about 2 years now! The Hobie 18 with wings is really great for my almost 2 and 4 year olds, but the SC is my first true love. :)
ultrarunner
Professional

Post by ultrarunner »

Beautiful job Finley. I'd love to have mine done this winter if I can find someone locally to do it. Did you get the 'SuperCat' logos from Aquarius, or did they send you the font style and size? Did you have them gel coated in?
efinley
Professional

Post by efinley »

I got the stickers from Tom, I thought they would be the perfect finishing touch and luckily he still had some laying around. :)

-Eric
Eric2101
Professional
Boat Make/Model: Supercat 15

Post by Eric2101 »

Really pretty. I am jealous.
Eric Arbogast
Supercat 15