New Supercat 17 purchase

Technical discussion of ARC products
Paul13jg
Novice
Boat Make/Model: SC17

New Supercat 17 purchase

Post by Paul13jg »

I recently purchased a SC 17 that has some things installed that are not factory. I was wondering if anyone has ideas why they they may have done so.
OOps My picture file is too big and I have to head into work soon. I'll have to learn how to downsize the photo and post it next week (Tuesday).

Meanwhile... I need to know what the cable traveler system looks like as it wasn't part of my purchase. Does anyone have photos?
I do have the cable though. I bought this 17 with no sails or blocks(and no traveler) but am getting them(sails/blocks) sent to me from someone parting their 17 in KY.
The only traveler system I was familiar with was on my old SC 19 and that was the track style.
Thanks for reading.
Paul13jg
Novice

Re: New Supercat 17 purchase

Post by Paul13jg »

I guess I am asking questions that really have no answer since whoever did this was changing the intended dynamics of the rigging. It seems the extenders attached at the end of the boom and 1/4 way up the mast could deter mast rotation. I am wondering what the cam cleat on the hull might have been used for??

Anyway, the sails are on their way soon! yea

I guess the traveler system will be self explanatory..it too is on its way.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ultrarunner
Professional

Post by ultrarunner »

Welcome aboard Paul.

Firstly, I'm not sure of the clam-cleat setup on top of your hulls. I suppose it might have been used in lieu of a jib block? In any even, definitely not stock from what I have seen.

Secondly, your shroud extenders definitely do NOT mount where you see them. In fact, if you look just outboard of the clam cleat in your picture, you will see the mounting bar on the outboard side of the hull. This is where the shroud extender attaches. I'll send you some pictures of this setup as it sits on my SC17.

Thirdly I'm assuming you have an older 17, in which case you simply have the stainless steel cable that the traveler rides on. Although some folks have converted to the track system. Your aft beam either has the track or it does not. If the latter, you will see some mounting holes on the top of the beam, way outboard, where the cable attaches. Again, I'll send some pics.

Mark
jjd78
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC17, 1-SC15, 3-SC17 and SC19

Post by jjd78 »

heres pictures of a SC17 i redid a few years ago but no longer have..

i hope these help somehow
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul13jg
Novice

Post by Paul13jg »

Mark,
Thank you. I owned a Supercat 19 for 10 years so I was familiar with the correct set up of the side stay/shroud extenders and where they mount and fortunately they were included. Although it was a jumbled mess of stays, lines and trapeze wires. I removed them and are now properly stashed away. I think one of the previous owners put additional stays on it for what reason I do not know. And it wasn't in the photo but the jib blocks are just behind the cam cleats on the hull. I plan to step the mast this week to see if there are any surprises. I could be at Waldo Lake (mosquitoes permitting) a week from now. Fingers crossed.

The cable traveler is on its way as well with an owners manual so that should help although it should be somewhat obvious. The 19 had the traveler track and that may be one of the changes I make with the SC 20 project this winter.

My 19 had a 8" line between the front pulleys(for the jib) with I believe is called a sister clip which easily attached to an identical one on the jib sail. Obviously they did some weird stuff to this cat.
Paul13jg
Novice

Post by Paul13jg »

I do have a question about trapeze handles. They look like you can't replace them unless you get the wire re-swaged??
Has anyone replaced theirs with a 2 piece handle? I actually have a swaging tool...just haven't seen it in a few years.
havliii
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SuperCat 19, Modded SC20

Post by havliii »

Just a guess or theory but here's 2 cents worth, the 17 and the 19 use the same mast, (28' 9") the 19 has diamond wires to keep the mast in column and the 17 doesn't. Your previous owner may have been witness to some nasty mast bend. Mast bend to a degree much greater than he was comfortable with. Hence the additional side stays from mid mast down to the ends of the forward beam. The extra stays would keep the mast in column but definitely mess with mast rotation.
Paul13jg
Novice

Post by Paul13jg »

Havliii
That makes sense. Who knows I may panic and want them on. The mast does seem less stiff then the 19.
Mark looks like you may have installed pad eyes on the front beam for your tramp..it really cleans it up.
Hey I used to own one but never understood the shroud extender system. I understand the highfield (hyfield) lever. But when do you use the shroud extender. It seems like you could get in trouble having that much slack in the stay for very long.

The photos were taken by a fellow who pitchpoled his cat in TX and destroyed the port hull. Hope you don't mind me posting them. He is looking for a hull closer than KY... where I got my sails.