SC 17 assembly

General Sailing Discussion
ultrarunner
Professional

SC 17 assembly

Post by ultrarunner »

Ok, we're ready to put it together. Hopefully I'll have help tomorrow, but in the mean time I thought I would get the beams mounted, and maybe the tramp set.

Anything an SC 17 newbie should do here. I have the owners manual but the it doesn't really address a complete assembly for a Cat that has been taken all the way down.

Has anyone got a step-by-step guide?

thanks,

Ultra
ultrarunner
Professional

Post by ultrarunner »

Hey folks, I have both booms mounted and the cat sitting upright. I have the tramp mounted, but not laced. My manual contradicts my setup, as my tramp only laces around the forward boom, as the aft, port and starboard sections are in guides. What type and size line is used to lace the tramp. This line appears to be the only one missing from my box. As all my other lines are for rigging.

thanks,

Ultra
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Post by Matt Haberman »

We typically use a "Low Stretch" line that is 3/16" (or slightly smaller) in diameter.
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
http://www.aquarius-sail.com
Curious Pab
Novice

Post by Curious Pab »

One thing on assembling your cat:
Before you get into the rest, check that the fit of the crossbeams on the hulls is such that if you lift one hull from the bow up, the rest moves along as a whole, solid single piece.

You might even have someone to hold down the other hull's bow as you attempt to lift it, and see if there is a margin for movement on the joints. If there is (you wanna hope there isn't) fix that or reduce it to a minimum before moving along.

This is one of many aspects in which the SuperCat design proves to be superior to HC.