Forward tramp on an SC17

Technical discussion of ARC products
ultrarunner
Professional

Forward tramp on an SC17

Post by ultrarunner »

I have an older SC17 that I'm getting ready to assemble, and was wondering if this cat will accept a forward tramp. My reasoning is that I can put a couple more folks on board for a light-wind cruise, etc...

Thanks
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Post by Matt Haberman »

Ultrarunner,

On the ARC-17 we do offer a forward "Competition" tramp as an option. I don't know that I have any pictures of the tramp on the ARC-17, but it would be the same as what we put on the ARC-22 & 21.
The tramp is a tri-angular shape that is full width at the main beam and comes to a point right below the bridle wires. The tramp is designed to work with the self tacking jib rig so that would be something you would need to consider. The nice thing about this setup versus a full width tramp is the fact that the tramp is never in the water if you bury a hull. The problem with a full width tramp on a small boat like the 17 is if you bury the hull, the tramp immediately acts like a speed brake and your probably going for a swim :P
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
http://www.aquarius-sail.com
ultrarunner
Professional

Post by ultrarunner »

Matt, thanks for the reply. This is what I am looking for. My setup does have the self-tacking jib. I'll call next week and see what I need to order.

thanks